Home > Uncategorized > Where were you when the Nisqually earthquake hit? KING/5 wants to share your memories

At 10:54 a.m. on Feb. 28, 2001, millions of people in Western Washington lived 45 seconds they’d not soon forget: the Nisqually earthquake.

Were you one of them?

Monday marks the tenth anniversary of the 6.8 magnitude quake that struck the area, and news station KING/5 wants to share your memories. Just post where you were the moment the quake struck on Intersect and see it stream this weekend on KING5.com.

KING/5 is already “borrowing” your Nisqually stories into the KING 5 Nisqually Earthquake storyline and featuring headlines on both the KING5.com home page and the station’s special earthquake page.

KING/5 staffers are even sharing their own experiences. Would you believe KING’s Ryan Subica was watching a compilation of top natural disaster TV promos when the earthquake struck?

Sharing your experience is easy. Just:

• Sign up (it’s quick – we promise)
  • Tell a bit about what happened (just a headline is fine)
  • Put the time of the quake, 10:54 a.m. Feb. 28, 2001, in the Time field
  • Put where you were in the Place field
  • Hit Publish. You’re done.

Once KING “borrows” your story, look for it on the KING 5 Nisqually Earthquake map. You might be surprised who else posted memories nearby.

Oh, and if you’re on Twitter, you can connect your account on the Account page to turn your headline into a tweet, and even include a hashtag. KING/5 suggests #nisqually.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Shelli Johnson
    February 27, 2011 at 9:11 am

I was at home a alone with my youngest daughter. My other two children were at school and my husband was on his way to work. I grabbed my daughter Amara. We ducked under a doorway. I covered her head and held her close to me. When it was finally over I ran down to the Elementary school where my other two children were. I asked them if they were ok. My son was smiling and said “yes, it was fun” and that he wanted to stay at school. Jessica my middle child did not like it however. She was not sure what to do she wanted to stay at school but also wanted to be with Mom. She decided to come home with me. Where we road out a few aftershocks. As for my husband he called and asked if we were alright. He also had stories himself that where quite funny. Like the man who Jumped out of his car and was running around not knowing what was going on. What an adventurous day we all had. Now our question is; when will it happen again?

2. Lisa Crites
    February 27, 2011 at 9:12 am

We were in Aberdeen Wa. I was pregnant with my first son. I had just walked out of my friends house that we were pet sitting for. As we went to get in our car, one on each side of the car, the ground started shaking. Even though he was just on the other side of the car, I felt so far away from my husband.

3. Judy
    February 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

It was my 4th anniversary and I was in Lynnwood Washington at a pet store getting some supplies when it hit. Everything started shaking and they told everyone to leave the store because they didn’t want anyone to get hit with falling items.

4. Beverly
    February 27, 2011 at 9:18 am

I was sitting at my desk in the front office. I had 2 elderly patients standing at the counter talking to me when Claude grabbed the counter and told his wife to hang on we were having an earthquake. My chair started sliding back and forth as well. Then the power went off. Needless to say, no more work that day. When I got home my poor dog, Spot, ran downed the stairs when I opened the door and out to the walk way and just stood there NOT wanting to go back inside. He was scared too! Am from California so don’t know what all the hoopla was about… but for Seattle, this was some major hoopla!!!!

5. Deb Olson
    February 27, 2011 at 9:33 am

I was at church, Zion Lutheran, in Kent, watching in amazement out the big south window of a classroom, as Wilson Field “rolled” towards me, than grabbing 1 of the eldest members of our church, Noreen Tommervik, I pulled her under the desk with me fast. Tasha (daughter) was in school, Springbrook Elementary, on the gym stage ducking under her school chair along with the rest of her choir class. Jeff (husband) was working for DPR Construction, in their WA State main ofc in Pioneer Square, the Interurban Building, an the layers of brick started to “jump & dust out” the entire interior of the building. Jeff’s backside (in his green plaid shirt) was shown on the National News directing people out of the building/crossing the street, as they thought the building was going to collapse. That earthquake was one wild ride! Oddest of all was early that am, before Tasha left for school, her pet rabbit, Shadowfax, jumped ontop of Tasha’s bed, which was very high up, an Shadow started “digging” into the mattress like a wild beast. Shadow had never done that before, an never did it again in her life time.

6. aleasheia
    February 27, 2011 at 9:34 am

February 28, 2001 I was 5 days shy of turning 14. When the earthquake hit I was at school, in wood shop class. I remember the computers shaking and a light that fell from the ceiling. 10 years later I still remember like it was yesterday.

7. moniguzman
    February 27, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks for sharing your memories, all! If you post them on Intersect, you can see how they intersect with memories around them on this interactive map (double-click to zoom, click on a thumbnail to preview the stories): http://intersect.com/life/10C8t80zSybx#c=timeMap

8. Jennifer Benson
    February 27, 2011 at 11:27 am

When the Nisqually quake hit, I was a caretaker for my mom. We were sitting in the living room in her North Seattle, Broadview area, house. A few minutes prior to the quake, my 2 dogs started pacing & acting nervous. We quickly knew why! The hardwood floors, & then the windows, started rolling. I had to take my mom by the hand & lead her across the room to a safer spot (under a doorway). She’d been sitting next to the plate glass windows. I wondered if this quake was going to be like the 60’s quake, when trees snapped like toothpicks in the ravine behind our house. The 60’s earthquake, Mom took care of me. The ’01 earthquake, I took care of Mom!

9. Jerermy
    February 27, 2011 at 1:12 pm

10:40 am I had just started the dishwasher before my 7 month old daughter and I decided to take a nap. I worked grave yard and that was our nap time. AT 10:56am I was just about to be in a dead sleep when at first I thought someone started jumping on our bed, See a week prior we had just moved in too a new place in downttown Sumner. I thought it was my daughters sister, and I was about to say “Stop Jumping on the bed” when The house started shaking harder. The windows were bubbling in and out. We hadnt put our bed together yet and the matteress was on the floor so the head board was leaning up against the wall, the shaking and twisting of the walls pushed the head board on to my daughter laying next to me I grabbed it and through it off of her and laid on top of her and sister thiking that we ould fall through the floor to the first floor.After all the shaking and twisting it was so weird to feel the ground and building shift back into place. As my daughter,her sister, and myself walked out of the room and down the hallway into the living room it looked like the Soprano family had went through and tore up my house looking for something. Tv was on the floor, computer was hanging from the wall, and the dishwasher had popped open and shot the racks on to the kitchen floor . It was truly the wierdest experience and most helpless experience in my life.

10. Julietta Sampana
    February 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm

It was February 28,2001 my first day working at Seattle Best Coffee. I went to work @ 8 AM to sign new hire paper work but did not happen because the manager will be in @ 11 AM. I was just told to start working upstairs 3rd floor mezzanine office. I seated in my cubicle and worked, when all of a sudden I felt as if someone is rocking my chair and the picture frames hanging on the wall was shaking. I turned around and my colleagues was all standing under the door frame and yelled earthquake. I stood up and followed everyone where they are going because I did not have an orientation of the building yet. All the lights was out on the hallway leading outside the bldg (corner 2nd and Union in Seattle).It was very dark. We were holding each other hands making sure everyone got out safe.Today is my 10th year anniversary at Starbucks Coffee Company ( company buyout)and I will never forget this day in my life.

11. Saundra Hall
    February 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I was on the 5th floor of a Boeing office building in Renton. A manager yelled for us to get under our desks. When it was over file cabinets and coat racks our on their side. The ushered to the stairs(luckily I grabbed by coat and purse) as we were allowed back in the building for several days.

12. Kathy Yates
    February 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I was working in the one hour photo at Costco in Tukwila when it happened. At first I thought it was my equalibrium going off balance.. the floor was rolling and i felt like I was on a roller coaster. Then the screaming started in the store.. I walked fast and crouched in the doorway and it was such an odd feeling. People screamed and cried all through it. Once the quake was done.. we were all told to get out of the building. We all went out and the employees went to our designated area. We were out there for a couple hours because our building still had to be checked out by the fire department. I was the only one working in the photo lab at the time.. and my boss called her daughter who gave me the phone and told me I should of stayed in the building to turn off all the machines and get the film out of the processor. HUH?? Nothing like risking MY life to get film out that was already ruined lol It took my husband almost 4 hours to get to Southcenter from Redmond that day and then another 2 hours to get to the Kent East Hill. That is one day I will never forget!!!

13. Peg Jatekar
    February 27, 2011 at 8:11 pm

The moment the quake began, I was walking down our long staircase with my 7 month old baby boy. We were in the middle of the staircase, and as I watched the chandelier sway back and forth, I had to make a decision to either continue down the stairs or go back up. I decided to make it down the moving stairs to our bathroom. I clinged to my son, under the doorway, saying over and over not to let this be the big one! My two older boys were in school and my husband at work…. very difficult not knowing if they were okay. Thankfully, they were! I was just so thankful there were no overshocks or at least ones that could be felt. Quite the experience for an eastcoast gal !

14. Melody
    February 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I was in Portland Oregon, at my chiropractors office lying on the table getting adjusted and the room started to shake. My Chiropractor freaked out, but growing up in California I thought it was pretty cool. I did not however know how this quake would forever change my life. I went home later that day and got on my room mates computer to look up the details of the quake, check my email, and do some research on continuing my schooling. My room mate had her AOL instant messenger up and 10 years ago you could do searches for random people in random areas. I did a search for the Seattle area and my computer found one person who I began talking to and eventually met and then married and we have 3 sons. This quake brought us together, and 10 years later we are still together and still very happy. :) Everyone teases us about meeting this way but he still rocks my world. lol.

15. Gerri
    February 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

My grandpa and I had just got home in downtown Puyallup after getting my new car stereo installed at cartoys. We had just came in the house and sat down when the quake hit and things started falling all around us. We ran to the doorways and woke my mom up to get her to safety. That is a morning I will never forget.

16. Tom Harman
    February 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I was at the top of the Space Needle at a luncheon of the Cascade Water Alliance when the earthquake hit, waiting for Govenor Locke to speak. The Governor never made it. I also spoke on the Dori Monson Show. I will never forget the experience.

17. Chrystal Johnson
    February 28, 2011 at 12:17 am

I was at Cascade Hospital in Arlington because my ex husband was a patient. They thought he had suffered a heart attack. We were in his room and watching TV. All of a sudden, I felt the room kind of gyrating and I looked at the TV on the wall mount in the corner. It was shaking violenty. I said to my ex husband, “We are having an earthquake” he said, “just shut up and sit down and be still”. I looked out the window at the school where my son was a student. It was right next door the to Hospital and my ex’s room looked right over the football field. I saw the entire school student body and faculty coming out to the football field and just standing there. They were there for a very long time. The hospital released my ex husband that very day and we home and looked at the damage there. We lived off the Jordan Road in Arlington. The only visible damage was in the china hutch.. most of his glass Harley Davidson motor cycles got broken. I only lost a couple of my collectibles.

18. Maria
    February 28, 2011 at 9:03 am

I was working graveyard at that time so I was sound asleep when the earthquake hit. I was so groggy when I finally woke up that I didn’t even notice the movement, it was the sound of the windows vibrating that woke me up. I lived only about half a mile from McChord AFB and at that moment I was convince it was one of the cargo planes coming in at an odd trajectory. I was jumping up to go see what was going on when I finally realize it was an earthquake not an airplane! My family all had a good laugh at that one.

19. angelique
    February 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

We were at Tacoma General Hosp. We were getting ready to pull the plug on our son do to he stopped breathing on his own for over 24 hours. Our son was born 1/29/01 at four months to soon and was 1lb 8oz. Then we had the Nisqually earthquake. That changed all…he started to breath on his own like he never stopped. He him self is now 10 and we are so thankful for that earthquake.

20. Jill Milner
    February 28, 2011 at 11:49 am

I was at work in Tacoma when all the stuff from the top of my computer monitor just jumped off onto my hands and keyboard area. Someone yelled “Earthquake” and we all started going out of the building. The phone rang and it was my daughter, she had JUST moved into her first house and had never experienced a quake this large before. Outside on the sidewalk, it was like we were standing on an undulating bowl of jello. We just stood there in shock.
    I also remember the quake in the mid 60’s. Sitting at my desk in school and I thought the person who was leaning on it was shaking it to mess with me. We all figured out pretty quickly that it was a quake and when we looked out of the classroom window, we saw a six inch wide crack appear over the entire width of a wide sidewalk. My mom was at home with my sister hanging on her legs as she was trying to stop the 20 gallon fishtank from slopping onto the encyclopedias below them, no luck with that! Had a lot of books spread around to dry out for quite awhile.

21. Karen Buck
    February 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm

2001 Earthquake. I was at home in roy,living in a singlewide trailor at the time.I was on pain medication(perkadan)for having dental work done.When it hit,I was in bed looking into my bathroom and the ceiling was rolling terriably and for a moment I thought the medication was affecting me in a bad way.I got out of bed,Tried to walk down the hallway,the floor had the rolling motion going on. I made it to the front door and looked outside and saw my car moving up and down.The trailor survived with little damage.I called my co worker and was told we had just had a earthquake.wow! what a rush. Something I will never forget!

1. No trackbacks yet.